The Magic in Pixels Forum

Forum Wish List / T...

[Sticky] Forum Wish List / To-Do List  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS
ddindy
(@ddindy)
Green Box Mode

@tim @msummers Have you looked at phpBB?  It might be a workable alternative to whatever this is.  I say that without any technical knowledge of forum software.  But it does appear to support BBCode.  There's on on-line demo that you can run.  I successfully posted a Flickr image and it worked just like the old forum except that it didn't open in a new tab.  That may be a configuration change.  I also didn't see anything in the configuration to allow the forum window to expand all the way up to full screen width.  That may require a custom style or it may not be user-configurable without changing the underlying php code.

It was just something I ran across while chasing a shiny thing at work today.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2020 7:01 pm
mSummers
(@msummers)
Green Box Mode Admin

@ddindy

Tim did have another one loaded on the old host, but it looks like he deleted it.  I don't remember if it was the one you mentioned above or not, but it did support BBCode.  We were having trouble with the post counter working correctly, but didn't look too hard into fixing that before Tim decided to spend more time working on wpForo.

Its worth looking at all BBCode compliant options that are native to WordPress if this one doesn't work out.  So far, it appears that the embeds addon will provide a clickable link to Flickr, however it hasn't worked yet with my smugmug.  I'm waiting to hear back from the support forum on what the issue is, and they need to get it to work correctly in order for me to support this particular software.  So far their lack of response is discouraging.

-Michael

My Website
My Disney Photos

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2020 9:10 pm
ddindy
(@ddindy)
Green Box Mode

One other thing I noticed, and it should be easy to fix, is the date format is dd/mm/yyyy instead of the normal American mm/dd/yyyy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2020 4:48 pm
mSummers
(@msummers)
Green Box Mode Admin
Posted by: @ddindy

One other thing I noticed, and it should be easy to fix, is the date format is dd/mm/yyyy instead of the normal American mm/dd/yyyy.

Fixed it

-Michael

My Website
My Disney Photos

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 11, 2020 6:59 pm
ddindy
(@ddindy)
Green Box Mode

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2020 10:04 am
Tim Devine
(@tim)
Green Box Mode Admin

@ddindy

We tried bbPress and as wordpress forum plugin but found that wpforo is a more elegant and aesthetically pleasing package.  At this time,  I would like to keep it to a wordpress plugin so everything stays under the same roof, as opposed to the original forum and galleries which were all different software packages in different databases, etc.  

If you want to research wordpress forum plugins and come up with something interesting, I will certainly consider it.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2020 2:00 pm
ddindy
(@ddindy)
Green Box Mode

Most of the search results for "best WordPress forum software" point to bbPress.  So if you prefer whatever you're using, you still need to make it do everything SMF does.  Maybe it's a case of all the crap out there today is worse than the good stuff we used to have.  I hate "progress."  And you kids get off my lawn.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2020 3:53 pm
ddindy
(@ddindy)
Green Box Mode

Any updates?  wdw360 is down, so I was afraid that you switched over here and didn't tell anyone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2020 4:31 pm
mSummers
(@msummers)
Green Box Mode Admin

WPForo has still not solved the embed plugin issue.  I also have never heard back from Justin to get sample PBase code to test whether he can post or not.  Since wpforo is now a month behind on their promise to provide an update for embeds that works which is actually several months behind as I found posts on their forum stating that they planned to have that update done before Christmas, I think its time to load BBPress and try it again.  I don't recall if you imported the previous forum last time or not, but lets try a fresh install this time.

-Michael

My Website
My Disney Photos

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2020 9:35 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share:

Amazon Affiliate Link